Here is a suggested 1-week itinerary for a family trip to Tanzania:
Day 1-2: Arrive in Arusha and acclimatize. Visit the local market and learn about the Maasai culture.
Day 3-4: Visit the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and take a safari to see the big five (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros) and other wildlife.
Day 5-6: Head to the Serengeti National Park and take another safari to see the great wildebeest migration (depending on the time of year) and more wildlife.
Day 7: Return to Arusha and depart.
Additional activities that could be included:
- Hot air balloon safari in the Serengeti
- Visit Olduvai Gorge for a history of human evolution
- Cultural visit to a Maasai village
- Visit to the Tarangire National Park
- Trekking and climbing at Mount Meru
This itinerary would be well rounded with wildlife, culture and adventure, it would be a great way to convince a city kid from New York City to travel with his parents to Tanzania.